Asian Chicken and Veggie Lettuce Wraps
• 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
• 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
• 1-inch knob ginger root, peeled and minced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 carrot, peeled and sliced into thin strips
For the dressing
• 2 tablespoons sesame oil
• 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce, optional Tamari or coconut aminos
• 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds, toasted
• 1/16 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
• 6 large butter lettuce leaves, washed and dried
• 2 green onions, sliced
1. Toast sesame seeds in a dry pan over low to medium heat for 1- 2 minutes until golden, stirring constantly. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add chicken strips and cook until golden on all sides and cooked through. Remove chicken strips and set aside.
4. Add to the skillet remaining oil, carrots, red pepper strips, and ginger. Cook until the veggies are slightly tender but still on the crisp side. During the last 30 seconds add the minced garlic and cook just until fragrant. Return chicken to the skillet with the veggies and add dressing, toss to coat.
5. Assemble wraps by laying down a lettuce leaf, spoon on the chicken and veggies mix and top each wrap with sliced green onions.
Yields: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1 wrap
Total Fat: 15 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 48 mg
Sodium: 151 mg
Carbohydrates: 10 g
Dietary Fiber: 3 g
Sugars: 5 g
Protein: 20 g