This dish pairs nicely with some steamed white or brown rice.
• 1 pound chicken, breasts or chicken thighs (divide into 4 portions for serving), skin on and remove the skin just prior to serving if desired
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 1 (14-ounce) container plain tomato sauce or tomato puree
• 4 bay leaves, torn
• 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
• 1 pound potatoes, peeled and diced
• 1 bell pepper, diced
• 1-1/2 cups green peas, fresh or frozen
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Over medium – high heat, brown both sides of the chicken in a saucepan with olive oil then transfer them to a plate and set aside.
3. Turn down the heat to medium. In the same saucepan, sautè the garlic and onions until they are cooked through. Return the chicken to the saucepan.
4. Add the chicken broth, tomato sauce and bay leaves then cook for about 20 minutes.
5. After 20 minutes, add the carrots and potatoes.
6. After 10 minutes, add the bell pepper and peas then season with salt and pepper.
7. Cook for another 10 – 15 minutes.
Yields: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe (1 piece of chicken and sauce)
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 73 mg
Sodium: 150 mg
Carbohydrates: 32 g
Dietary Fiber: 6 g
Sugars: 7 g
Protein: 29 g