Mexican Poblano Stuffed Peppers
- 1 cup cooked red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 tbsp onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp ground chile powder
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 large poblano peppers (or 4 large sweet green bell peppers), seeded and cut in half
- 8 tbsp shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 4 tbsp low-fat sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Then, in a large bowl, combine beans, rice, corn, tomato, zucchini, onion, garlic, chile powder, cilantro, oil, salt and black pepper. (You can prepare this stuffing mixture in advance and store it in an airtight container or tightly covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator).
- Spray a large roasting pan with cooking spray. Fill each poblano pepper half with 1/2 cup stuffing mixture and place in the roasting pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with Mexican cheese and bake for another 10 minutes.
- To serve, top each stuffed pepper half with 1/2 tbsp sour cream.
Yields: 4 pepper halves (2 servings)
Nutrition Information (per 2 stuffed pepper halves):
Calories: 242, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 35 g, Fiber: 8 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 12 g, Sodium: 197 mg, Cholesterol: 17 mg