Yummy Chicken Veggie Tostadas
Variations: The tostadas can easily become soft tacos if you skip broiling the tortillas. You can swap out the salsa verde for regular red salsa, use corn tortillas in place of flour, or even add a tablespoon of reduced-fat sour cream. Also, this dish pairs well with a side of black beans.
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons canola oil
12 ounces chicken breast tenders
1 cup chopped red onion (about 1)
1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
1 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 cup salsa verde
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
4 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- You’ll want to preheat your broiler. Then in a small ramekin or bowl, mix the 1st 3 ingredients together.
- In a large (preferably nonstick) skillet, heat up the canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture evenly over the chicken pieces. Add the chicken to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add onion, corn, and zucchini to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Stir in salsa and 2 tablespoons cilantro. Cook for 2 more minutes or until the liquid almost evaporates; you’ll want to stir frequently.
- Arrange 2 tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet; lightly coating tortillas with cooking spray. Broil them for 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla; sprinkle each serving with 1/4 cup cheese. Place back in the broiler for an additional 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Repeat this procedure with the remaining tortillas, chicken mixture, and cheese. Sprinkle each serving with about 3/4 teaspoon of remaining cilantro.
Amount per serving
- Saturated fat:6g
- Monounsaturated fat:7g
- Polyunsaturated fat:3g