This dish is simple and versatile. You can serve it with your favorite veggies, pair it with rice, spoon it over a beautiful salad, or even serve it in a tortilla to make tacos or burritos.
• ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
• 3 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
• 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
• 4 tsp cumin
• 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
• 2 tsp oregano
• 1 tsp black pepper
• 1 tsp salt
• ½ tsp ground cloves
• 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 4 lbs chuck roast
• ¾ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 3 bay leaves
1. Combine apple cider vinegar, chipotle peppers, minced garlic, cumin, lime juice, oregano, black pepper, salt, and cloves in a blender or food processor on high speed until smooth.
2. Next use a knife to cut and remove as much fat as possible from the roast and cut into 6 large pieces.
3. Add olive oil in a large skillet. Over medium high heat, sear all sides of roast until browned, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Place meat into slow cooker and pour sauce over meat.
5. Add in the chicken broth and the bay leaves to slow cooker.
6. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
7. After meat has cooked, shred in slow cooker using two forks.
Yields: 8 servings
Per Serving: (1 cup)
Calories from fat: 167
Saturated Fat: 6g