While there are many different lifestyle choices when working to stay healthy, most experts agree that there are five main habits we can implement to both maintain and increase physical health. The beneficial tips presented in this article are not an all-inclusive list, but they are backed by science and essential when maintaining a healthy body, mind, and spirit.
The concept of “eating healthy” can vary among individuals and wellness approaches. However, there are some basic, yet impactful tips to help you fill your plate with the best options.
* Don’t stuff yourself. Overeating can cause weight gain, reduce the body’s energy stores, and create dangerous metabolic imbalances. The best advice is to eat in moderation and only until you’re satisfied.
* Eat (mostly) healthy foods. Fill your menu with fresh vegetables and fruits, lean meats, less fat, and whole grains – but don’t totally deprive yourself of the foods you enjoy. However, whatever your choice of dietary lifestyle, try to regularly avoid sugar and processed foods (which means anything in a box).
* Look forward to mealtimes. If you look at food as something to be enjoyed and savored, you are less likely to make mealtime something you are resigned to “have to do”. Take time for meal planning and learn how to cook recipes that are healthy.
Remember, eating healthy means making wise choices for your body, which come from researching healthy foods and incorporating “superfoods” such as avocados, green tea, and blueberries.
Take Your Vitamins
Healthy foods are important, but incorporating the right vitamins is also beneficial to your health. Here are some tips to get you on the right track.
* Research and learn about vitamins and supplements. Knowledge is power! Ask your doctor if there are certain supplements you should be taking and focus on incorporating those specifically.
* Take a multivitamin everyday. Even if this is the only tip you incorporate into your routine, you’ll be better off than before.
Exercise is as essential to the body’s good health as proper nutrition. Experts have stated that we need exercise that increases our heart rate (cardiovascular) and tones the body (stretching) to stay healthy. Here are some ideas to consider when adding exercise to your daily routine.
Any amount of exercise is better than no exercise at all. If you just can’t stand the idea of going to a gym, then try these tips:
* Put the remote control next to the television and leave it there. Get up to change the channel.
* Choose the furthest parking spot whenever you go somewhere.
* Use the stairs and not the elevator.
If an exercise routine does appeal to you then think about these possibilities:
* Choose something you’re passionate about. Did you take dance lessons as a child and loved it? Find a dance teacher that will instruct adults after work.
* Find a gym that offers a good rate and has a personal trainer included with your membership.
* Start using the pool in your backyard or neighborhood.
Most physical fitness experts agree that a minimum of 30 minutes a day would be better than no exercise at all.
Time to Say Goodnight
Recent research shows that we simply don’t get enough sleep. Our bodies require rest and sleep in order to repair and stay healthy. These repairs can range from healing and thwarting off potential illnesses, to rejuvenating our energy systems, maintaining our emotions, and maintaining balance. Whether you need 6, 7 or 8 hours asleep, go to bed at a time that makes this possible.
Hydration! Hydration! Hydration!
There is an endless list of the benefits that come with keeping your body hydrated. Some are:
* Hydration means elimination. Naturally, what goes in must come out. Staying hydrated means healthy and less painful waste elimination.
* As a feel good benefit, hydrated skin is less dry, itchy, and flaky. It also appears more vibrant and healthy looking.
* Do some research into innovative health waters. Many of these have extra vitamins, no sugar, and no artificial colors or flavors, making them a great source for healthy fluid intake.
For many of us, implementing these five suggestions for healthy living can be difficult. In order to live a long and healthy life, these behaviors must become a part of our lives. The most important investment we will ever make in our lives will be the commitment to implement healthy habits into our daily routines.